WHEN AND HOW WAS DISCOVERED
Τhe old people of Ioannina , claim that the entrance of the Cave was known before 1900 and the Bey Choliasis Efentis closed it in 1907 for security reasons .Since then nothing reminds of its existence. It was become known during the second World War(1940) from the inhabitants of the village who were hiding at the cavities of the Goritsa hill in order to be protected from the bombards of the airplanes. However the internal of the cave remained undiscovered because someone had to crawl at about 100 metres so as to reach chambers with high ceiling. After the war in 1951 the well-known geologist and spelaelogist accidentally as he was passing by found out about its existence.
He got into it and admired for many hours the exceptional creation of the greek nature,the first in size and beauty that he came across in our country.The explorations continued from 1953 to 1956 so new parts of the cave were discovered. Grand corridors,extensive chabers as well as impressive and rich ornaments that implied that it was a luxurious palace that only gods could live there.That’s why the Cave of Peramatos was dedicated to Pluto and Persephone.